Some of you know, some of you don’t, May is mental health awareness month.
Maybe you don’t know what exactly this is about or maybe you do.
Here are some facts about why May is Mental Health awareness Month.
- 1 in 5 American adults are diagnosed with a mental illness each year.
- Nearly 10 million Americans suffer mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression.
- 60% of adults and 50% of adolescents do not get treatment or services they need.
- 25% of living with these conditions feel shamed or judged by it. (this number may even be higher because most people don’t like to speak on it)
- Mental health doesn’t only affect the person with it, but those around as well.
Ways you can spread awareness:
- Educate yourself on the mental health and those around you.
- See the person not the illness
- Supporting those around you.
- Take the StigmaFree pledge.
- Look for opportunities to participate in activities, if you can.
- Dedicate some time towards this, maybe a blog post, poem, whatever your heart feels.
- Create yourself a healthy life style, keep yourself straight, love yourself, have HOPE.
I will be spreading my awareness throughout the month on my blog, anyone who wants to join me, feel free! Please do so, I encourage you.
We are all different beings in this universe radiating the same energy.
No one should suffer silence and solitude.