What day is it? duh Friday, but its Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽
And I am celebrating by hanging up this beautiful canvas I purchased yesterday of Frida Kahlo painted by a phx local artist Mia Diaveon. #SUPPORTYOURLOCALARTISTS 🌺🌵☀️
Here are some interesting facts about the amazing feminist artist icon:
- Frida Kahlo made 143 paintings; 55 are self-portraits.
- She became famous decades after her death
- She was born in Mexico city
- Kahlo was bisexual
- Casa Azul, her home, was turned into a museum after her death
- Frida arrived at her first solo exhibition in an ambulance
- She became a painter after she was involved in a nearly fatal bus accident
- Diego Rivera was also an artist, whom she married twice
Now before you go out drinking margaritas or tequila with chips and salsa, remember why this day is celebrated!
- The holiday celebrates the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.
- it is not Mexico’s independence day.
- Also, this holiday is not celebrated in Mexico.
Hope everyone enjoys their Friday and be safe out there!